Main Guard, Clonmel


The Main Guard in Clonmel was built by James Butler, the Duke of Ormond, between 1678 and 1684 as a Courthouse for the Palatine of County Tipperary. The building was extensively altered over the years until a full restoration programme was undertaken by Duchas.

When the project started the building was in three storeys, but discovery showed that it had originally been a single storey room over a ground floor arcade, and it was returned to this form. The imposing clock tower was also renovated. A new visitor centre (shown above) was built to the rear to complement and service the main building.

Overy + Associates worked closely with the Architect to integrate modern building services systems into the new and existing structures. Underfloor heating using condensing gas fired boilers removed the need for radiators in the visitor centre. Difficult access to some areas required the use of ultra-long life luminaire lamps which have an life expectancy of 20 years. Discrete digital CCTV protects in interior and newly created outdoor public spaces.

The project was opened by Tom Parlon, Minister of State for the OPW in March 2004.

Historic Building Architect: Margaret Quinlan Architect
Structural Engineer: Michael Punch